It goes without saying; life is hectic and busy during this time of year. With full work schedules, added social commitments, less sleep and an abundance of high fat and sugary foods no wonder we start to feel run down. Here are tips to keep you healthy and safe during the holiday season.
- Wash your hands well and often to keep yourself healthy and to prevent spreading germs.
- Bundle up to stay dry and warm.
- Manage stress. Don’t over commit yourself and keep your holiday spending in check.
- Eat healthy and get moving. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Limit your portion sizes and food high in fat and sugar. Be active for at least 2.5 hours a week and help kids and teens be active for a least 1 hour a day.
- Prepare food safely. Remember these simple steps: wash hands and surfaces often, avoid cross-contamination, cook foods to proper temperatures, and refrigerate promptly.
- Don’t drink and drive or let others drink and drive.
- Be smoke-free. Avoid smoking and second-hand smoke.
- Fasten seat belts while driving or riding in a motor vehicle. Always buckle your child in the car using a child safety seat, booster seat, or seat belt according to his/her height and age.
- Get exams and screenings. Ask your doctor or nurse what exams you need and when to get them.
- Monitor the children. Keep potentially dangerous toys, food, drinks, household items, and other objects out of kids’ reach. Make sure toys are used properly.
- Get your vaccinations, which help prevent diseases and save lives.
- Practice fire safety. Most residential fires occur during the winter months, so be careful to never leave fireplaces, space heaters, stoves or candles unattended. Have an emergency plan and practice it regularly.
All the staff here at Healthagen – the creators of iTriage wish you a happy and healthy holiday season. Be sure to have iTriage on your iPhone or Android and remember http://www.iTriagehealth.com is always accessible on your desktop.